Crossfit, If It Fits Your Macros, Just the basics.

9-5 thang

So unfortunately for me I have been doing the good old 9-5 thang for the past few days. And by 9-5 I mean working actually from 7am-5pm. And by 7am I mean, waking up at 5 am to get ready, as it takes me an hour to get to that particular site. Good times.

I have realized I will never be able to be a 9-5 person, unless it’s a 7-3 gig, because getting home at 5 pm, trying to crossfit, eat dinner and then hang out with the hubs for 30 minutes is ridiculously hard. So I definitely give credit to all of you out there who fit it all in. I will always prefer and take my 12 hour shifts, my 3pm or 6pm starts, and my 3 or 4 days off. Everyone is different but this is what personally works for me. I like routine, and floating definitely is not a routine, so I’m not sure why I like it so much.

So let’s catch up on the past few days…

Sunday was Palm Sunday at church, and I did indeed make it to church with my sister. I then went to Crossfit for Hero Sunday…


Unfortunately for me, I was the only person at the 11 AM class. The coach of the class that morning actually decided to do the workout with me. He’s done this before, but Sunday it was just the two of us.

I kept saying “I thought I started Crossfit to get away from running.” The amount of running was ridiculous. And it was 79 degrees out…talk about Pittsburgh’s “spring”…it’s snowing today.

I scaled the front squats to 145 lbs, did regular pull ups since I can’t quite do chest to bar, and then did a 44 lbs kettle bell swing (Rx is 72 lbs). I finished 2 seconds slower than one guy from the 9:30 am class who I am jokingly competitive with, and 8 seconds slower than the other female at the 9:30am class, but she did not use as heavy of weight as I did. It was tough mentally…all the running. I just was not prepared for the 800s at all.

After Crossfit, I went walking with my Mom and Goose for 5 miles at North Park, because it was beautiful out. I then spent the rest of the day on the couch until we tried our hands (my sister and I) at our Dad’s famous ribs. They turned out amazing and we had them with grilled asparagus and mashed potatoes. They were even delicious as left overs!

– – – – –

Monday was spent working 7am-5pm. It was freaking busy…but Monday’s are always busy in the ER. ALWAYS. Everyone knows if they’re working a Monday to just prepare for the ridiculous lines in the waiting rooms. If you’re thinking about going to the ER, Tuesday-Friday is a better time, I mean unless it’s an actual emergency, which 75% of the time it never is.

I used Monday as a full rest day and did absolutely nothing. We got caught up on The Following

And if you have not started watching this show…you must. It is about a killer cult and it is truly fascinating. Every week Mike and I literally scream at the TV at the end of the show because we don’t want it to be over. It’s in it’s second season and the first season is on Hulu I believe. Get on it.

– – – – –

Tuesday I worked again 7am-5pm, but actually got out at 4:30 pm. Most of my fast track patient’s turned out to be Psych patient’s so they weren’t even “fast”. One spent 5 hours in the ED before getting admitted. Fun times.

I raced from McKeesport area, through Rankin, through the Squirrel Hill Tunnels, over the Boulevard of the Allies, across the Veterans Bridge and down McKnight road and made it to Crossfit with 5 minutes to spare. I definitely did not think I was going to make it.

It was a lifting day at Crossfit, with cleans and deadlifts.

I just set my 1 rep max of cleans at 145 lbs two weeks ago, and last night lifted 140 lbs for 2 reps. I could get the 1 rep at 145 lbs but could not get under the second rep. I was letting my head get the best of me.

Clean form again. Pulling the bar from the ground and then quickly getting under it, front squatting it, and standing back up. Definitely not easy.

Then we worked on Deadlifts. Last week I set a new PR of 220 lbs for 3 reps. Yesterday I blew that out of the water with 5 reps at 235 lbs. I felt good at 215 for 5 reps and decided to keep going. So I 5 rep’d my 1 rep max and then some. That was the heaviest I have ever lifted and my back muscles immediately felt it, which is a good thing for me, because it means I was using the correct form. My back muscles today are definitely still sore, but deadlifting 235 lbs will do that to you.

I layed on the couch the rest of the night with some Icy Hot (my favorite) on my back and browsed through Pinterest finding all of the funnies.


Seriously, story of my life. I am now learning how to add the weight at Crossfit, but yesterday I had to have someone add my reps up for sit ups…and then they got it wrong. FML.
I think I might have to make this... #dog #humor @BadgerMaps

And I used to get upset that I had a "C" instead of a "K"...def going to start the process of changing my name!
I find this funnier than I should because of the cliental who abuse the ER.
I Flexed And The Sleeves Exploded
My sister sent this to me. How appropriate.
I will buy this. I have this weird obsession with Ironman and Tony Stark, as does my husband. His new license plate is actually going to be Mr. Stark.

– – – – –

Today I slept in a bit, but have to work 3pm-11pm at a site about 1.5 hours away. That sucks.

I went to Crossfit where we did handstand practice, ab work and this Metcon:

21:00 AMRAP:
15 squats
5 ring dips
1 hand stand push up
**every 90 seconds = 10 sit ups

This was more terrible for me because of the ring dips more than anything else. I still can’t do them so I had to do negative ring dips where you essentially jump up to arm extension and then slowly lower yourself into a dip. After working hand stands and the ring dips, the HSPU’s were HARD! I think I made it through like 15 rounds or something. Again…the math.

– – – – –

Today is my HIGH CARB DAY (250 grams) and I am super excited. I was contemplating skipping it this week because I’ve done a little bit of cheating, but these days are necessary and part of the plan. I’m up in weight but I am going to start that lovely gift soon. Whatever.

The extra weight gives me PR’s and I’ll take it. Heated butt and back seats all the way to my site today…and all the way home.

I actually took off the next 4 days and I am pumped. We’re Catholic, so this week is Holy week and a big deal. Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Saturday and then Easter Sunday. For the past 2 years I have worked all of these days and have not gotten a chance to go to church with my Mom, so I took them all off. Then someone switched the Monday after Easter with me, so now I’m off 5 days. It’s like a mini-vacation! I’ll take it!

2 thoughts on “9-5 thang”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s